About Flat Stanley

Hi - I am Flat Stanley and I was made by Isabella who is in the 2nd grade in Monroe, NJ. She sent me on a trip to Aunt Cindy's house in Fort Myers, FL for a week. I get to do all sorts of exciting things and then writing about them. When I get back, I will tell Isabella's class all about my trip. Here is a sneak peak.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sunday May 15, 2011 - Oranges & Panthers!

Well, I am rested from sleeping last night.   Today is very windy and we decided not to go to the beach.  I did not want to blow away.  

We went to Sun Harvest Orange Grove.  They grow grapefruits and lots of different kinds of oranges here and they ship them anywhere in the country.  Here is a picture of the store.

They let us sample some oranges - velencias are in season now.  There are lots of orange groves in this part of Florida.  The oranges are used to make orange juice that you can buy in the grocery store.


On our way we saw this sign on the road & I had to have my picture taken with it.  
I am in the middle between the signs!
So I wanted to know more about the panthers here in Florida.  This is what I found out.  This panther is a cousin of the cougar and they are endangered (this means there are not very many of them left living).  There are only about 80-100 panthers living in Florida today.  They put these signs up to warn drivers to be careful and watch out for them. It is so they do not drive too fast and hurt them.  Here are 2 pictures of them & I will be on the look out for one this week.



No comments:

Post a Comment